Space heaters are not a permanent solution for heating your home, but sometimes they are nice to use to add some warmth and comfort on cold winter days. Here are some tips to stay safe and avoid potential shock or fire:
- Make sure the space heater is suitable for where you intend to use it.
- Place the space heater where it won’t be near any flammable materials.
- Check for a model with a tip-over switch that turns off the heater if it is knocked over.
- NEVER USE AN EXTENSION CORD. Always plug your space heater directly into an outlet.
- Never leave children unsupervised in rooms where a space heater is running.
For more safety information check our the December 2017 issue of Energy Matters from Manitoba Hydro https://www.hydro.mb.ca/your_home/heating_and_cooling/index.shtml#